Mission and Approach
Downtown Greensboro Incorporated (DGI) is an independent, non-profit agency established in 1997 to work closely with the private sector and local government to stimulate new investment and interest in Greensboro’s Central Business District.
To lead the development of Downtown Greensboro as a prosperous and vibrant urban center, memorable and meaningful for those who choose to live, work, play and invest here.
- Helping businesses establish themselves in downtown by supplying demographics, assisting in understanding local building codes, referring to appropriate small business support organizations, and advising on design
- Serving as the implementation organization for the Center City Master Plan
- Promoting downtown as an economically viable and predictable location for investment through presentations to community organizations and investors
- Marketing downtown. DGI provides information on new businesses, entertainment, and available properties
- Supporting and promoting events downtown like First Friday gallery stroll, BB&T Beach Music in the Park concert series, Mosaic Festival, Piedmont Blues Festival, Fun Fourth, Run 4 the Greenway, Festival of Lights, WFMY News 2 Piedmont Winterfest and many others.
- Promoting initiatives to make Downtown more accessible and inviting. DGI has worked to get additional parking, and some free parking after 6PM. Other initiatives are sidewalk dining and hanging flower baskets
- Serving as a voice for downtown businesses. DGI facilitates problem-solving among downtown property owners and businesses
Strategic Work Program
Downtown Greensboro, Leading the Way, July 2012. download PDF